Friday, June 6, 2008

Liebe Gruesse aus Diersfordt!

I've been here almost two weeks now and Diersfordt, the town in which I'm staying for the time being, is already feeling like home. Diersfordt is pretty small: about 800 people, too small to have its own supermarket or bakery. It's really quiet, too. If you sit outside on the terrace, you can only hear birds. Tonight we even got to hear the nightingale sing! There are a lot of creatures here that you wouldn't see every day in the city or the suburbs, such as bats and beetles as big as your palm. We saw those tonight, too.
The Quasts' garden.
Some of the older buildings in Diersfordt.You can see a snippet of the castle from here.
As I recall, they were having a problem with erosion on the creek awhile ago. It has to do with the beavers (In German they're called 'Bibers', pronounced 'Beebers', which I find amusing)
Small piece of Diersfordterwald.
Diersfordt's old windmill. Diersfordt also has a sheep house and a hunter's house.

Change of scenery: My old host family, the Wlocka-Kaluses, moved into a new apartment in Hamminkeln the weekend before I came back to Germany. The view from their balcony is amazing:


I've been keeping busy this week meeting with people and eating way too much gelatto. Regina and I were in Bocholt on Tuesday and her ice cream came with gold!

No comments: