Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Grüße aus Berlin!

I've been in Berlin for two days now. Berlin is one of the most awesome cities I've visited. The youth hostel I'm staying at is right next to the Tiergarten, which is a giant park (practically a forest) in front of the Brandenburger Tor. Unfortunately, it's slowly being closed off in preparation for the Germany-Turkey semi-final on Wednesday. You can't even stand under the Brandenburger Tor (reminiscent of the Cold War?).

The new U.S. Embassy looks great, in case you were following the construction going on at Pariser Platz. It's almost finished now. Besides walking past the embassy (and around the city for hours on end) I've also fisited the Pergamon Museum, Checkpoint Charlie, and almost went inside the Berliner Dom until I learned that you have to buy a ticket to go inside (at least I got a peek...it looks beautiful at a glance!).

I also spent two days in Ravensbrück, a women's concentration camp about 80 km north of Berlin. I've been there before with AFS, but I decided to go back again. When I was there in the past, there was an inspirational display about what the women who were imprisoned there did after the camp was freed in 1945. Unfortunately, the display has been replaced with a new one (I suppose they put up fresh displays every once in awhile) but there were a few other new ones up, too, including more information about Uckermark ('Youth Protection Camp') and youth in concentration camps.

Tomorrow I go on Berlin's 3.5 hour free walking tour (I've been doing Berlin a little backwards). Also, look for pictures at some point tomorrow!

No comments: