Friday, June 20, 2008

Grüße aus Lübeck!

Lübeck is a relatively small town that was recently named a UNESCO world heritage site. And no wonder. It has several cathedrals that are still (mostly) original (i.e., not destroyed and rebuilt, though a couple were). It's built on a piece of land completely surrounded by water. The city's architecture style is breathtaking: facades, brick or plaster. But, as I said, it's relatively small and there isn't that much to do. So tomorrow I leave for Ravensbrück (North of Berlin).

I was in Hamburg for three days. Now that's a huge city (Unfortunately I can't upload pictures on the computer I'm using right now, but hopefully at some point I'll find one that allows me to share some). The youth hostel in which I stayed had a clear view of the harbor, which was even more breathtaking that the houses in Lübeck, if possible. I'm clearly going to be left short of oxygen for most of this trip.

Most of the time I've been walking around the city/town I've been in. Why pay for a bus, S- or U-Bahn when you have all the time in the world and could walk through the city park instead? At this point, though, I feel like I'm going through band camp, except carrying a Sousaphone instead of a piccolo.

From Ravensbrück I plan to go on to Berlin. Hope to post more soon from there! Bis dann!

No comments: