Thursday, September 29, 2005

Classes got Canceled

School in Germany seems more like college than American high school. Besides the fact that most of the walls are "University White," except for the ones coated in murals or hung with the art class's Escher style paintings, one can have free periods in the middle of the day. And classes can get canceled.

This week my physics class got canceled on both days. Since physics constitutes Thursday's first and second periods, and I have no third or fourth, today is a relatively easy day. I get to leave for school at 11:15 instead of 7:30, and I only have two classes.

Therefore there are only 6 periods until Fall Break. Great, no?

This afternoon I will try to go to a sort of building club at school (the only club with any sort of poster up). They have made giant wood chess and checker pieces which people can play on a board painted on the floor. I think they also build the sets for the school plays and other events. I am not great shakes at woodworking, but since Max, my AFS-liason, says I need to find more things to do with my time, I might as well try it out.

Tomorrow I will go to a theater group with Alicia, another activity I am not good at (especially not in German!) but I will use to fill up time. Other activities, such as playing flute in the musical "Annie" or the big city band, take place on Mondays, the day of the mandatory German course. Hopefully those I will be able to pick up in December or January, after the course is over.

No comments: