Thursday, September 8, 2005

First Days

I love math. Numbers are still numbers, no matter what language you're using. I looked at the textbook my class is using, and I know all of that material, so tomorrow I will ask the head teacher if I can move up to a higher level. The math here is integrated, so no matter which class I get put in, chances are I'll know a lot of what they are learning. Hopefully they start teaching calculus at one of the higher levels. That would make me happy.

After school today I finally got to meet my AFS contact-person, Max. He is in the 11th grade at the other Gymnasium in Wesel, because he got held back a grade when he came over to the US for a year. He was in Sante Fe, New Mexico with AFS last year, which means his English is really good. We had a nice chat about Germany, the US, school, social life, etc. for nearly two hours. We were talking so long he missed his bus home to Hamminkeln! He almost missed the next one, too. Hopefully he was able to make it to the bus stop in time.

Tonight we ate fresh, home-made bread with sausage and cheese. Last night we biked down to Hamminkeln (about 4 miles) and ate at a small restaurant serving a schnitzel buffet. The food here in Germany is really good. At school, the students eat fruit and bread at every free moment. I think I've seen only one student eating a candy bar at school.

Since you were photo-deprived in the last post, here are some extra ones from this week:



Jutta, Stephan and I when we first met

at the train station in Duisburg.


We love our Italian ice cream!

Amelie, Hannah, and Clara, some of our neighbors.

The "first school day" tradition.

No comments: