Monday, January 14, 2008

Second First Day

The first day of second semester is over! So far all my classes are going well. I had all but one of them today, so I have at least had my first impression of most of the courses.

Here is a link to my schedule, if you would like to see it visually: (Click Me!)

I am taking a total of 61 units. I dropped the Nicaragua mini course so that if a slot opens in Calculus 3-D (for which I'm currently waitlisted) I can be added to the course. 61 is the maximum amount of units I can take. I emailed my faculty fellow to ask if I can participate in the course without being registered or getting credit for it, but I have yet to hear from her. Either way, I may be dropping a course sometime during the semester anyway. Six courses make quite a load, and I won't know until a couple of weeks in whether or not I'll be able to handle that load.

Now let me give a brief description of my first impressions of my classes so far.

Physics: I can't say much, because we have a guest professor for the next week (the real one is in India at a conference at the moment). I do already know that this course will be a challenge, however. It is the only course so far that I have done work for (or started on the homework, for that matter).

Calc in 3D: Professor Mihai is apparently from Romania and she is my second of three female professors this semester (excluding Professor Tardio, my faculty fellow). Two of the three are in courses that traditionally have few females to begin with.

German: Some of the students have taken this particular German course two or three times, not because they had to retake it, but because they want to practice their German and they like the professor. This is my smallest class by far: 10 people. It's almost intimidating.

Engineering and Public Policy: This class is supposed to be really easy. You can essentially only take it if you know that you will be majoring in the engineering you took the first semester. So by taking EPP, I am basically declaring my major as ECE. The professor is somewhat amusing and incredibly lax. I am not sure why I was determined at first not to take this course. Not only will it be relatively easy (so I can concentrate on physics and programming), I am interested in the topic.

15-111: This is the programming class in Java. We only learned how to submit homework today. The first lecture is tomorrow, so maybe I can post something about it then. If the material we cover this semester is as complicated as how to submit homework, however, this is going to be a very long semester.

No comments: