Thursday, September 7, 2006

Last First Day of School

Today was the last of the firsts. No reason for celebration. These occasions occur every time you try something new or have a different experience. Sometimes they are even on the unconscious level.
This time it was conscious, though. Or for me it was. Today was the last first day in high school. Some people may have gone through it without second thought or in a daze (I know how strange it is to suddenly have to change your sleeping pattern to get up at 6 am again). For me it was a combination of nerves, uncertainty, and excitement. It was great to see the people I haven't been able to get in touch with over the break.
A couple of the courses look like more than I hoped for. Calculus looks amazing. Besides the fact that my class is overridden by Juniors (I'm kidding!; that would have been me a year ago). The class looks like it's going to be interesting. The teacher has humor and actually wants to teach for the sake of our mathematical betterment, and not just for the AP test.
US History, on the other hand, doesn't look quite so interesting. I know 1 person in the entire class (this class IS all Juniors). The teacher doesn't have the same assurance and confidence that my other teachers do. Then again, I've only had her for a single period so far. Maybe it will pick up.
In the classes in which I have friends, there's a good mix of people. I used to have 5 classes a day with the same people, but now with my whacked up schedule I get more variety. The person I have the most periods with is Allison, and we only have 3 together. I kind of like that.
I also have my locker next to some cool people. If I don't lose my lock again before tomorrow, I can actually pass them by while getting books.

No comments: