Sunday, August 12, 2007

Wheaton vs. Chicago

Jenn and I have been in Wheaton for about a week now. She's been keeping very busy working as a TA for a chamber music camp. We went to Chicago yesterday for one of the camp's two concerts. I was not there for the children's concert; No, I have definitely sat through enough of those as a kid to last until I have my own. The primary reason for tagging along was to go to Chicago.

Like every city, Chicago has its own feel and culture. I admire its architecture and the way that the "Loop," or the train system that loops around the downtown area, fits into the plan of the city. Our group, Jenn, May (Jenn's soon-to-be-roommate, who also works at the music camp), J.D. (another worker) and I, actually came into the city by car instead of by train. Our first stop was Chicago's China Town for lunch. We ate at the type of restaurant in which carts of food are rolled by the tables and you pay by the plate. It was delicious.

China Town

The concert took a good three hours or so altogether. I got a lot of reading done (currently finishing People Before Profit: The New Globalization in an Age of Terror, Big Money, and Economic Crisis by Charles Derber; It's quite an excellent book which I highly reccommend if you are interested at all in the topic of globalization; I find Derber's solutions much more ideal than Thomas Friedman's).The concert hall.

Afterwards Jenn, May and I walked around Chicago. We started at Grant Park and worked our way up the Magnificent Mile. There is a long stretch of stores there, and not a single McDonalds as far up as we went; I was impressed.


May, Jenn and Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park.
Chicago Skyline
Apparently this is a great place fore concerts and naps
THE BEAN
Where's Waldo?
The Kinda Creepy Faces Fountains
...that spit...

I love Reeses! (actually, I didn't mean to take this picture.)
Jenn and I in the Hershey's store in the Magnificent Mile

At 10 o'clock we started towards the Neo-Futurist Theater to watch an hour-long production by the troupe Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind. It was a series of 30 humorous, philosophical, random and/or tragic skits that is performed in the exact time frame of one hour. They apparently rewrite a number of their skits every week, so you can never see it enough times. In front of the stage was a clothesline with each of the skit numbers on it, and the audience gets to call out which one they want next. We got through all but number 28 before the hour was up.The Stage at TMLMTBGB
The Stats
This one Saturday was much more exciting than my whole week put together. The only picture-worthy moment was the first time that I have ever gotten stuck behind a train while driving:

No comments: