Friday, August 24, 2007

House Wars

Orientation week at CMU is almost over. It's been a fun week, despite what some people say about college orientations. I've gone to about as many information sessions as I could (the schedule this week has been flexible, and there was only one "required" session). Although they were sometimes boring, as people say, I learned something new at every session, and often many new somethings at that!

My hall is awesome. We've gone out to various places on our own several times already, from going out to eat to hanging out at Kraus Campo. My roommate is awesome. We're very different, but we've been getting along well. One of the best parts is that she can sleep through anything, so I can sit here and type a blog at one in the morning while she falls instantly asleep. My suitemates are awesome, especially since I'm usually the only person who ever wants to take night showers. Life is awesome in general at the moment.

Hopefully this awesome life doesn't end on Monday when I take my first class at 8:30 in the morning (programming). Engineering students, even freshmen, at CMU are notorious for having the most work on campus. Classes plus studying plus extracurriculars plus house activities will mean little time for sleep and just hanging out. Until then I'll enjoy this, though.

Tonight (last night, rather) was House Wars, which is a competitive tournament between the five housing areas to see who wins the House Cup for the year. My area, called "The Hill," defended our trophy and won it for the second year in a row. It was exhilarating. So much so, I think I'm might be losing my voice from all the cheering that we do.


Chloe painted most of our faces in our team colors: red and black.My roommate and I in our cardboard and ducttape helmets.
One of the upper floor RAs being painted by a McGill RA. The RAs were the ones who went all-out for the event.
Sara (my roommate) and Zahra (my suitemate) did Eric's makeup. Very intimidating.


I didn't bring my camera to the actual House Wars event, nor to most of the events that took place this week, including the cruise on Thursday night on the three rivers (starting to regret that). These will have to do for now. I've asked some people if I can put pictures they have taken on my blog, and with their consent I will later post those, once they become available.

Have a great week!

No comments: