Saturday, July 28, 2007

Frisco

These posts are a bit out of order, but I did promise to post about my weekend trip to San Francisco, so I should do that now before I leave on Sunday (which I'm really excited about, by the way!).
I've posted from Frisco before (Bert calls me a "noob" when I call it Frisco. Who comes up with fad words like noob, anyway?). Anyone who pays attention to the trivial details of this blog knows that the last time I was there I brought back pictures from the Golden Gate Bridge, the Presidio and the Ferry Building. This time Aunt Kathryn took me on a far grander, albeit more taxing, tour: the Staircase Walk!
Basically, we walked up and down the San Franciscan hills all morning, starting at China Town and ending down at Fisherman's Wharf. There we had the most delicious shrimp and crab I have ever tasted (possibly because it was real). We also stopped by Ghiradelli Square for chocolate and walked by the opera house and city hall.

The gate into China Town.The hill is so steep they actually built stairs into it!The view from the top is great, though.
Sometimes you forget that you're in a city.Visiting the WWII liberty ship Jeremiah O'Brien.Aunt Kathryn's Queen of the World!The closest I hope to ever get to Alcatraz.
The beautiful city hall.


The next day we went via bicycle to Golden Gate Park, which oddly enough is not near the Golden Gate Bridge. The park is huge! You could lose yourself in it easily, and I admit that we got lost a number of times. We came across an AIDS walk taking place that day, a number of gardens and a greenhouse, an outdoor concert, and dancers in the park. The botanical garden was especially nice. Such a beautiful place I never would have imagined existed in a bustling metropolitan area.
AIDS Walk.
Accompanied by the all-too-notorious Stanford band.Golden Gate Park's rose garden.

Sitting under an innocent-looking carnivorous plant.The botanical gardens.
Rhubarb (along with lichen, moss, and conifers) grows in the prehistoric section.
If you ever wanted to know what Gingko Biloba is, this is what it looks like.
A beautiful sunrise on the day we went back down to Socal.

No comments: